Blessed Are The Pure In Heart
If there is one statement of Jesus from the Sermon on the Mount that captures the essence of the Christian life, it is this: Blessed are the pure in heart for they will see God [Matt 5:8].
Commenting on this verse, D.A. Carson poses a set of questions that I think gets to the heart of this soul searching.
- What do you think about when no one is watching and when your mind slips into neutral?
- How tolerant are you to deception, shady humor, no matter how funny?
- To what do you pay consistent allegiance?
- What do you want more than anything else? What and whom you do love?
- To what extent are your actions and words an accurate reflection of what is in your heart?
- To what extent do your actions and words constitute a cover-up for what is in your heart?
Listen to this sermon for a closer look at what this verse means and how we can pursue it in our daily life.